Connector Contact Material and Plating
This section covers connector contact material and plating within GCT's board to board connector range. Core header pins & receptacle contacts are manufactured using high quality copper alloy, this material is cost effective, easy to manufacture with good electrical properties.
Metal plating layers are added to the core pin or contact to allow or improve:
- Corrosion resistance
- Wear resistance
- Electrical performance
- Temperature protection
All pins and contacts are under-plated with a layer of nickel to:
- Provide wear and corrosion resistance
- Resist migration of materials between the base material and finish plating
Finish plating is available in variants of gold or RoHS compliant tin
- Tin offers excellent solderability and conductivity, but low durability - low cost
- Gold offers excellent conductivity, low resistance, excellent corrosion resistance and durability - high cost
- GCT's gold flash plating offers a good balance between the advantages of gold and the lower cost of tin.